Allah is the Most Merciful and the Most Gracious. Even though mankind commits sins Allah has created many opportunities for humans to turn back to him.
Fasting was made compulsory for humans so that their taqwa (God-consciousness) will be increased.
Ramadan is the month to attain taqwa; to learn good habits, to stay away from sins and attain the blessings of Allah. This is the month in which a night which is the most blessed in expected. Laylathul Qadr, also known as “the night of power” or “the night of decree” is a very noble night and is better than a thousand months.
Why is Laylathul Qadr better than all the other nights?
- This was the night the Noble Quran was revealed. Quran Chapter 97 Verse 1
- All matters related to Rizq (the provision), good or bad, life and death was decided on this night. – Quran Chapter 44 Verse 04
- Allah Himself says it is the blessed night. Quran Chapter 44 Verse 03
- The good deeds we do on this night are better than the good deeds we do for thousand months. Quran Chapter 97 Verse 3
- Jibreel (alai) and the other angels descended from the heavens with Allah’s permission on this night. Quran Chapter 97 Verse 4
- It’s a peaceful night. Quran Chapter 97 Verse 5
- Whoever beautifies this night with acts of worship with sincere faith, all their past sins will be forgiven.
- Anyone who strives to attain the blessings of Allah in this night, he will get all the benefits. Also, whoever is deprived of this night, then he is a truly a deprived person.
- Allah has revealed a Chapter specifically about this night – Quran Chapter 97
How to attain the full benefits of Laylathul Qadr?
Qiyam Al Lail
Night prayer is one of the best acts of worship one can do in this blessed night. Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) sought Laylathul Qadr in the last ten days. He used to pray all night and keep his family awake for prayers.
Also, our Prophet explained the merits of praying on this night of decree as a form of expiation of sins.
When asked about the Prophet’s night prayer to Aisha (rali) she narrated in the Sahih al-Bukhari 3569
Apart from all the compulsory (fardh) prayers, Allah recognizes the night prayer with a higher status. Salah is one of the acts of worship which is very close to Allah. We can obtain the love of Allah through salah. Therefore by offering night prayer, we can reap the maximum benefits of the blessed night. How important is to offer salah? check here
Asking Lots of Dua
All humans commit sins without any exceptions. However the best of people are those who repent for their sins. Almighty Allah has opened up the doors of repentance on the night of Laylathul Qadr. Whoever seeks Allah’s mercy and sincerely repent on this blessed night, Allah will forgive him if He wills.
Our Prophet taught his last wife Aisha (rali) on the best dua anyone can say on the night of decree.
This is the night which increases the probability of our duas being accepted. Therefore making dua is one of the best worship one can do in this blessed night. We can ask duas that our Prophet has taught us or we can ask our own dua for victory in this life and the hereafter. Allah waits to respond to everyone’s dua.
To Perform Ihthikaf in the masjid
The main purpose of performing Ihthikaf is to seek Laylathul Qadr. It is a highly recommended sunnah in the last ten days of Ramadan.
Also the Prophet encouraged his sahabas (companions) to perform Ihthikaf in the last ten days to seek the night of power.
Recitation of Holy Quran
Reciting the Holy Quran is one of the best forms of worship. For every letter recited, the merits are multiplied. Reading Quran in the month of Ramadan is a highly recommended act. See all the benefits of reading Quran
Our Prophet uses to recite more Quran in this month. Every night, Prophet rehearses the Quran with Angel Jibreel (alai).
Therefore, it is a very recommended act of worship one can perform on the Laylathul Qadr.
Apart from the points mentioned above, we also can perform immense good deeds; Dhikr (remembrance of Allah), Charity i.e. feeding the poor are some of the acts we can perform on Laylathul Qadr.
We should try our best to get all the benefits of this blessed night. We need to compete to seek the pleasure of Allah. Allah has made this night as a way for all of us to enter Jannah. Even if we cannot perform all the acts of worship, we need to make it a point not to commit ANY sins on this night, whether small or big. We pray to Allah that may all Muslims reap the maximum benefits and stay away from doing any sins on this blessed night.
When is Laylathul Qadr?
No one exactly knows when Laylathul Qadr is except Allah. However, Our Prophet has mentioned to seek it in the month of Ramadan in the last ten odd nights.
What are the signs of Laylathul Qadr
- Sun Rises Bright Without Any Rays on the day following Laylathul Qadr
- The moon will rise like a part of bowl at the far end of the month
- This night will be neither too hot nor too cold – The night of Qadr, is a calm, serene and peaceful night. It is not hot nor it is cold.
Why Didn’t Allah Reveal the Exact Night of Laylathul Qadr?
The main reason anyone can think why this night is kept secret is to make them worship throughout the last ten days of Ramadan. If this night had been revealed, people would have glorified Allah only on that night.
Therefore, to conclude, during the last ten days of Ramadan, we should involve in all the acts of worship stated above to seek the pleasure of only Allah and no one else. And we sincerely pray that all Muslims around the world receive the opportunity to attain this blessed night – Aameen.
Allah Knows Best